Thursday, May 20, 2010

Heidi (Williams) Shelton




I can't believe ten years have come and gone so fast.

After we graduated I headed down to Snow College for some summer classes followed by the fall semester. Needless to say I didn't get a whole lot of studying done, since that is where I met my soon to be husband, Daniel. However that January I left Dan and my roomies (Katie Woolley, Rose Anna Barker, Aubrey Richards, and Marie Hart) and went to Ecuador to work with the volunteer group OSSO for the spring semester. After returning home I married Daniel in August of 2001.

Dan and I jumped around for the first couple years, living in Utah and Maryland until we finally moved down to Las Vegas in 2003, where we both attended University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Dan graduated with two Masters Degrees (one in History, the other in Social work) and I graduated from the Radiology Program receiving my Radiological Technologist license. I worked at the children's hospital in Vegas and loved every minute of it.

A shocking blow came to our little family, when on February 3, 2005 I was diagnosed with a rare form of bone and connective tissue cancer called Ewing's Sarcoma. Consequently, I underwent two radical surgeries and 14 rounds of intensive chemotherapy. Four blood transfusions, and a year of treatment later and not to mention 20 lbs. lighter, I was pronounced in remission and I have had clean scans ever since!

Unfortunately or fortunately (whatever way you care to look at it) cancer changes every aspect of your life. I was told that I would most likely never be able to have children. I began to research survival rates and learned that a Vegetarian diet proves greater survival. I have been living off of plant based whole foods since and I have never felt healthier. I also decided that I wanted to further my education and in 2008 I began my schooling to become a Chiropractic Physician.

About two months after starting school in Texas, another shock came to our family; except this time it was good news. I was unexpectedly pregnant! I gave birth to our sweet little boy, Henry, on December 26, 2008. After taking four months off, I started back into school and I am planning on graduating with my Doctorate in Chiropractic Medicine in December of next year.

In our spare time Dan and I love to travel and we have been to 29 states and 3 countries together. We love the outdoors and hiking with our dogs. We love being Vegetarians and are active members of Farm Sanctuary and the Society of Peace.

I'm so sad that I am not able to make it to our class reunion. Go Darts!

No comments:

Post a Comment